University of Wisconsin–Madison

Student Assistance

The Dean of Students Office provides resources to students struggling with a variety of issues and seeks to be the “go to” spot for student assistance on campus.

We’re here to help! Reach us by phone, in-person, or online.

Drop-In Hours:
Fall and Spring Semesters: Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Winter Break and Summer: Monday-Friday, 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m.

Location: 70 Bascom Hall.  Click here to locate us on the campus map.

For more information, see our Contact Us page.

Looking for information from the Office of Student Conduct & Community Standards?

Please click here!

Please contact our office if you are struggling with any of the following:

  • Academic Issues
  • Bias Incidents
  • Danger to Self or Others
  • Death of a Friend or Family Member
  • Employment Related Concern
  • Family Crisis
  • Financial Issues (Short term loans, extensions, etc.)
  • Food Insecurity
  • Health Issue
  • Housing Insecurity
  • Mental Health Concerns
  • Physical Health (Illness, injury, etc.)
  • Pregnancy and Parenting Students
  • Sexual Assault, Dating, Domestic Violence or Stalking
  • Students of Concern
  • Student Report of Misconduct of Other Student
  • Victim of a Crime
  • Witness


  • At-Risk Training

    At-Risk Training Knowing what to say to a student that you are concerned about or how to start that conversation can be challenging. At-Risk for University and College Faculty is an online, interactive educational program that …

  • Behavior Intervention Team

    The Behavior Intervention Team is a committee, chaired by the Dean of Students Office. The Team’s purpose is to provide guidance, recommend interventions and to make referrals for students that have demonstrated concerning, distressed, or …

  • Bias Reporting Process

    If you are visiting this page, you or someone you know is likely hurting after experiencing a bias or hate incident on campus. That should never be part of the Wisconsin Experience and we want …

  • Crisis Loan

    Short term loans may be sought by students when an unexpected life event or circumstance takes place that causes financial hardship. These loans are generally under $500. They may not be used for paying tuition/fees or any …

  • Dean’s Certification

    Many transfer, graduate, law, medical, and professional schools require the completion of a Dean’s Certification or disciplinary clearance. To expedite the process, all requests can be made through the Registrar’s office, the official record keepers …

  • Drop in

    Throughout the year, a Dean of Students Office staff member is available on a drop-in basis for walk-in visits, phone calls and e-mails. Below are a few of the reasons to contact the Dean of …

  • Exceptional Citizenship Award

    Exceptional Citizenship Award The Dean of Students Office recognizes students’ contribution to making the University campus a safer community through the Exceptional Citizenship Award. This award is given to students who decide to act with courage …

  • Hazing

    Values and Definition Hazing is incompatible with the values and standards of the University of Wisconsin-Madison community. Hazing is considered to be any activity that is expected of someone joining or participating in a group …

  • Missing Student

    Faculty, teaching assistants, and university staff members often become concerned about students who suddenly stop attending their classes or other university activities, miss an exam, or stop responding to emails. We encourage those concerned to …

  • StrengthsFinder/Strengths Quest

    The Clifton StrengthsFinder is a web-based assessment of normal personality from the perspective of Positive Psychology. The purpose of the Clifton StrengthsFinder is to start you on the path to strength by helping you discover …

  • Student Death

    The Dean of Students Office is responsible for initiating the process to close the records of deceased students. When informed of a student’s death, the Dean of Students Office will send the official campus correspondence …

  • Student of Concern

    Day-to-day interaction with students is both a vital and essential part of being on a university campus. This interaction provides for teaching moments and creates an environment for learning which takes place both in and …

  • True Colors

    True Colors is a model for understanding yourself and others based on your personality temperament. The colors of Orange, Gold, Green, and Blue are used to differentiate the four central personality styles of True Colors. …

  • University Values

    University Values is a guided presentation and discussion on the history, values, and legacy of UW-Madison. This presentation is geared for undergraduate students who seek to learn more about the university and how they can …

  • What is DoSO?

    The Dean of Students Office (DoSO) provides assistance, intervention, prevention, and referral services to the university community. DoSO develops students who exercise personal responsibility, practice ethical decision making, and seek social justice. The staff of …

  • Services